- 1 An Introduction to Hero Hunters
- 2 Hero Hunters : Gameplay
- 3 Features of Hero Hunters
- 4 Tips ‘n’ Tricks for Hero Hunters
- 5 Personal Impressions // Review of Hero Hunters
- 6 App Specifics for Hero Hunters
- 7 Download Hero Hunters
- 8 Summary
An Introduction to Hero Hunters
From Canadian powerhouse game developers Hothead games, makers of the hit “Big Win” sports series as well as the popular card collecting strategy game Mighty Battles comes Hero Hunters, an epic third person shooter! Set fifty years in the future, a decade after the catalytic “Zero Day” where a biological weapon destroyed civilization and plummeted the world into a brutal violent war. Players adopt the role of a commander that leads a squad of heroes as they fight through countless lethal henchman known as ‘Lawgivers’ in the hopes of defeating the evil warlord General Kurtz to restore peace to the world.
Hero Hunters : Gameplay
With numerous modes of gameplay including epic team battles, PVP matches and a strong single player story arc, Hero Hunters offers hours upon hours of fun-filled action. With swipes and taps players take control of a team of five heroes of which each is part of a different division. These factions are divided into a rock-scissors-paper buffing system which adds strengths and weaknesses and are categorized as Biochem (green) which beats Mech (orange) which beats Energy (blue), which in turn is strong against green Biochems.
With over 40 different heroes available, players select a squad of up to five members as they tap on character icons to jump to their point of view and fight as them. As each hero has different skills and abilities players need to know the character type and time their taps as they jump to and fro heroes to either sniper out headshots, provide cover as a tank, open up tactical assaults and more!
By completing missions players earn cash and crates which contain new heroes or hero fragments along with a plethora of different items and gear which can be equipped to heroes to boost stats. These items along with special abilities and heroes themselves can be upgraded and evolved to further strengthen squads.
Based on classic third person shooter style, players’ movement is limited to ducking and dodging for cover with right thumb swipes, aiming with the left thumb before firing with right thumb taps which also activate the special abilities and skills.
Features of Hero Hunters
WORLD CLASS GUN PLAY
● Cover-based, third person shooter experience with amazing console-like graphics
● Quickly swap between Heroes during battle in real-time, team-based combat
● Modern and futuristic weaponry makes playing each hero a distinct experience; from sniper rifles to energy guns
● Deploy jaw-dropping special abilities that can quickly turn the tide of battle.
COMMAND YOUR HEROES
● Collect exclusive heroes, each with their own legendary weapons and special abilities.
● Assemble the right team to take on the enemy. Mix up your roster to find the perfect combination.
● Play as your favorite hero and dynamically switch between heroes at any time during gameplay.
● Plunder loot after each battle, level up your heroes, upgrade your abilities and perfect your loadout.
● Immerse yourself in the single-player campaign as you fight against raiders, bandits and worse in a post-apocalyptic cityscape.
●The battle is never over. Watch your hero squad dominate the battlefield.
REAL-TIME PvP TACTICAL BATTLE MODE
● Challenge your skills against other players in real-time multiplayer action-packed tactical PvP combat
● Craft a tactical squad of up to 5 heroes and dominate the leaderboards and leagues
● Join forces with your friends to build an unstoppable military alliance
● Beat your rivals in intense time-based event competitions focused on both solo and strategic group play.
Tips ‘n’ Tricks for Hero Hunters
As tempting as it is to fill squads with the most OP heroes which have the strongest attack power that can blast through enemies and levels, it is actually far better to include at least one medic in your lineup. Whether the hero is a dedicated medic or simply a hero with healing abilities, having a healer onboard greatly increases the chance of winning all three stars. Having a medic is especially important in Gauntlet missions where players battle back to back missions where heroes’ health carry over from one mission to the next.
Headshots! Headshots! Headshots! Besides being unsettlingly satisfying seeing necks snap back in recoil from a high caliber bullet to the head, players should always take the time to aim for the headshot as they deal much higher damage which in turn eliminates enemies much quicker. This is obviously essential to do when using sniper weapons yet not as important when using area effect shotguns or Gatling guns etc. which allow players to use tried and true ‘spray n pray’ method.
Beat the Boss!
Due to Bosses usually being the strongest and toughest character in levels, it is understandable to take out as many foot-soldiers as possible as quickly as possible to reduce the amount of oncoming fire, it is instead much better focus all attention on taking out the Boss as soon as they appear. The reason for this is that by eliminating the Boss most levels will automatically end regardless if there are still other henchmen in play, which means that even though Bosses high health takes time to chip away, levels can actually be won quicker by concentrating fire upon them.
Watch the Arrows!
During battles it is important to pay close attention to the upwards pointing green arrows and downwards pointing red arrows that appear over enemies. These visual cues indicate the class category of characters and as such it is best to constantly monitor targets and continually switch heroes to max the most out of these buffs. In regards to which characters to play, and which to leave tot the AI, it is best to use strongest heroes and leave the weakest ones to the AI, as they will stand a better chance of surviving. It is also important to stay aware of the type of roles heroes fall into. Front Line heroes spawn closet to the action and are usually the tanks and high assault heroes. Mid-Line heroes appear in the middle of the battlefield and usually have the highest rate of DPS. Support heroes are at the rear and usually consist of snipers and healers.
Grind with Purpose!
Rather than simply replay missions with no system, it is far better to play with purpose. By selecting heroes and knowing what makes them better players can hunt for items needed to craft specific gear. Furthermore, it is far most efficient to use energy replaying missions with the goal of obtaining hero fragments to evolve heroes. Obviously it is best to focus on three star heroes and above, yet despite Ryker being the default hero that players start out with, if evolved to multiple stars he can become extremely powerful, especially after his second special ability has been unlocked.
- Log in constantly to take advantage of timed crates.
- Complete the Daily Quests for maximum loot.
- Save gold to purchase Hero crates and at times on the Black Market if a bargain is available.
- Play with sound on or headphones to better immerse yourself in battle.
- Use tickets to auto-play when replaying missions to speed up grinding with ease.
- Replay early missions on the Hard difficulty to reap better loot.
- Play Campaign missions first to use up stamina and then focus on other modes while stamina rejuvenates.
Personal Impressions // Review of Hero Hunters
In terms of classic third person shooters, it can difficult to transition the fluid format of action to the level of control that limits gameplay on mobile devices. That said however, Hero Hunters actually does quite a good job with their blend of restricting movements yet allowing ducks and dodges with an eloquent aiming system.
The difference of character traits, levelling up of heroes and gear crafting and equipping makes squad selection enjoyable and thought provoking. The graphics and well defined without making the app too weighty. Whilst the multiple playing modes offer numerous ways to enjoy, the strict star based limitations which restrict progress to new maps may not suit some players who prefer a little more freedom.
The ability to earn both character XP during missions played as well as team XP means that players can focus more on progression through levels rather than having to constantly replay missions to grind out assets to strengthen heroes.
Despite being very easy to enjoy, and despite having any serious negative issues – apart from being a little heavy on in-app purchase advertising – Hero Hunters unfortunately seems to lack that special something which puts it over the top and creates that must play daily addiction. Four stars out of five.
App Specifics for Hero Hunters
1.0 (iOS) (Last Update Jan 31 2018) (as at the time of writing)
1.0 (Android) (Last Update Jan 24 2018) (as at the time of writing)
109.2 MB (iOS)
92.9 MB (Android)
1,000,000 – 5,000,000
9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
4.4 and above.
Rated for 16+
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese.
$0.99 ～ $159.99
Download Hero Hunters
Download Hero Hunters for iOS from the App Store Here!
Download Hero Hunters for Android from Google Play Here!
Do you agree with our review of Hero Hunters? We would love to hear your thoughts on whether you love or hate this game in the comments section below along with any other hints, tips and tricks that you may have come across that haven’t already been covered above. Also be sure to leave any requests for games that you would like to see reviewed!
And as always, ‘happy gaming’!